Tuesday, January 22, 2013

~A New Year & A New Beginning~

Happy New Year! It was exactly one year ago that I had packed all my Christmas away, and decided to change everything in my home. For over ten years I had decorated in a primitive colonial style. I worked at a primitive shop, I had a job as a stylist for a primitive magazine, our home had been published in a couple country/primitive magazines, I had a primitive blog, and primitive friends. To change, and leave some of that behind seemed very scary at first. To sell things I had loved, and thought I would never part with, seemed unbelievable. Could I really do that? Was I making a big mistake I would regret? Was this just a phase I was going through? One year later, I am happy to say there are no regrets, I am so glad I followed my heart, and not all the fears in my head.






                     In the winter of 2011 I developed Interstitial Cystitis, (IC). For months I was stuck at home, in constant pain and misery. After lots of prayer, my own research, and taking my health into my own hands, I slowly got better. I am so very, very thankful to be living a pain free, normal life once again. I will have to share my journey with IC in another post. After being stuck at home for months, I was tired of the dark colors. I needed a change, but thought changing everything would be too daunting and expensive of a task at the time. After Christmas last year, I couldn't stand the thought of going through another winter in the darkness, the memories of my illness the previous winter were still very fresh in my mind. I didn't know how I was going to do it, I didn't have money to go out and just buy all new things for my home. So, I started selling, and to my surprise it all sold quickly.


With every brush stroke of  paint, I felt like I was also brushing away the bad memories and giving myself a light and bright new beginning. Isn't it amazing how emotional and therapeutic decorating and painting can be? It has been fun discovering what things speak to me, what style I want to be my own, I am still very much going through that process, and I love it.


What a difference a year can make. Here is our home Christmas 2011.




Christmas 2012


2012 was a good year, not only were we all in good health, we also made some very special and fun memories. We put the new floors and kitchen on hold to go on a big vacation instead. They are only this age once, so glad we went!




I am looking forward to seeing what 2013 will bring, I have so many projects  and goals planned for this year. Flooring, a kitchen redo, and hopefully a master bedroom makeover. I would also like to learn more about photography, and how to really use my camera. Before I get started on those though, I am working on a deep cleaning and organizing of our home. All month I have been going through all my cabinets, closets, and drawers, it feels good to clean out and feel fresh for the new year. I have also been thinking about exactly what I want to do with our kitchen. Here are a couple kitchen pins from pinterest that I absolutely love and find inspiring. I wish I knew the original source for both of them.



I will return soon with some new goodies I got for my birthday. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Kimberlee

Sharing this post with:



17 comments:

  1. Wow what a transformation you have done! Looks amazing! I just went through the same thing of wanting my home to feel lighter and brighter and happy. I sold everything as well and painted and I am very pleased with the outcome. I love the pins you chose for your kitchen inspiration...can't wait to see that project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaamazing transformation Kimberlee.
    We live with a mix of white and colour :-) I did the all white and changed to a Tuscan theme 7 years ago. Now I am morphing into a lighter brighter look.
    The inspirational kitchens are luvly. Awaiting your reveal.
    Cheers, Gee
    Come on over and visit...
    Cheers, Gee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kimberlee,
    I love your livingroom transformation. Looks fabulous! So happy to hear you are feeling much better. Looking forward to your new year ahead and seeing some of your many changes this year! Wishing you a lovely day!
    hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home looks beautiful!Like you last year I made a change to my decor.White has transformed my home.So many people think it is cold.But I think it is so warm and serene!Best wishes to you and your family! I hope you make lots of fun and special memories together!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kimberly! Thanks for posting this...I was wondering if you had any regrets getting rid of your country/primitive because I am going through the same decor challenge in my head! I adored your home before and seeing the photos of Christmas before and after I still adore both styles. I haven't taken the plunge into white yet but I feel it tugging at me more and more and now knowing you do no regret your decision it helps a bit to get me to try at least one room in whites/greys! I think I need to be patient and do a little at a time instead of expecting perfection all at once!!!lol

    So glad to hear you have recovered and are full of energy again!

    Have fun,
    Sincerely Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...now that's one awesome transformation! Your home is beautiful and I like the inspiration pics you have here. I hope 2013 will be a wonderful year for you and your family.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to the complete makeover process. After almost three years of trying to sell my home, I decided it was not meant to be. I decided to stay and make a few changes. Those few changes have been going on for eight months. I have completed five rooms so far. The kitchen was not one of those five and I hope to address that in the coming months. It has been very exciting and is turning out to be a beautiful transformation. Gives new meaning to "Bloom where you are planted."

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing how much you accomplished in one year. Especially given the fact that you were completely changing styles. Bravo for following your heart and a fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your white & bright home - trying to get closer to that myself. I may end up with just a room that gets the full white makeover! I'm jealous of your cleaning/organizing - need to make some time for that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love your new look and also loved your old look....i am working really hard at doing the same to mine....i am still selling my prims and buying new things with the money i make from the sales....i am in florida right now and have found some great stuff....go look at my blog to see some of my new toys for my new look....so happy you are feeling better and kimberly....i am so proud of all that you have done....it looks great...my granddaughters ar coming down for spring break...so i feel a trip to disney coming very soon....any pointers for a 3, 5 and 8 year old...thanks...linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's actually very difficult in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, thus I simply use the web for that reason, and take the newest information.
    Here is my site ... http://www.tdameritrade.com/welcome1.htm…

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kimberlee,
    So glad your listening to your heart and letting it guide you. Change and a new look can be so fun.
    I always loved your old style. But I also love your new one. You have such a talent for decorating. Everything always looks fabulous.
    Wishing only the best in 2013.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure why but this site is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later and see if
    the problem still exists.

    Here is my blog post ... vage

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article?

    I'd really love to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

    Feel free to surf to my web page; shopping

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there

    I have just found your blog and am LOVING everything I see. I was particularly interested to read about your illness and the changes it inspired you to make in your home. I too have been struggling with an ongoing health problem which means I spend an awful lot of time in bed. A year ago I got so fed up with being stuck in this room and visitors having to sit uncomfortably on the bed or worse, on the floor, so I got it into my head to re-organise the house and make my bedroom more like a living room with a bed in it. On my good days I got to work and eventually installed a window seat, and a comfy tub chair. I went through my clothes and managed to get rid of a wardrobe and chest of drawers, and then I wondered else I could do and started exploring blog land, where I began to find furnishing ideas similar to your own style, and now I have a ladder, flowers, baskets, and all sorts of other lovely things to look at when I'm stuck in bed. It makes me feel SO much better!

    Judi in the UK

    PS I've now become a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE your blog! I LOVE your home, your vignettes, I LOVE IT ALL!!
    I JUST started my own blog and you are truly an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new blog
      http://jasminebrook.blogspot.com/

      Delete