Monday, June 17, 2013

The Laundry Room Makeover

I had not planned on giving this room a makeover until we had finished our kitchen, but when our washing machine of 16 years broke a few weeks ago, I found myself wanting to paint and fix this scary, ugly room up a bit, before getting ready to put a new machine in. I knew it also needed to be a  low budget project. I did my best to use things I already had, and I am so happy with the way it all came together. I almost enjoy doing my laundry now, I say almost, because laundry is one of my least favorite chores to do!


There was NOTHING pretty about this little room before, it was dark, with a murky, depressing, army green color paint, one wire shelf that was piled with junk, and an outdated brass light fixture. I remembered to snap this before picture after we starting tearing the room apart. Funny how cleaning out one area of the house can have a chain reaction. Decluttering the laundry room/pantry area, led to cleaning out and reorganizing the pantry, the school cabinet, another school cabinet, and the kids book cabinet. It felt so good to get all of those cleaned out and simplified.


I had a gallon of paint I had bought for the kids bath makeover I decided to use in the laundry room also, the color is allen & roth, The Harbor by Valspar at Lowes. We replaced the wire shelf, with two new wood shelves on L brackets. it was a very easy project, and makes such a difference in the room.

The lantern light also came from Lowes, I think it gives the room some much needed charm! The only other thing purchased for this project were the small storage baskets found at Ross and Marshalls.

I used an extra shower curtain rod from our garage to hang some curtains I sewed from some french toile fabric I had, the blue fabric is actually two runners I had originally ordered for our living room makeover. I ended up not using them in the living room, but they ended up working perfectly for this project. The one runner hanging off the shelf helps to cover the unattractive plumbing you can see above the washing machine.

Since I don't have a window in this laundry room, I felt the curtains would make me feel like I had one, and bringing them up to the ceiling added height to the room. I love the color and softness they bring, and they conceal the large cleaning product bottles I have stored behind them.



Just a little reminder to myself in french to "do the laundry"!


I love old mason jars, there are so many things you can do with them! They even look pretty just sitting by themselves.



Thanks for stopping by to take a peek at my laundry room makeover. Now on to the kid's bath! I hope everyone has a great week!

Kimberlee

Sharing at-

Coastal Charm- Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Cedar Hill Ranch- The Scoop

A Stroll Thru Life- Inspire Me Tuesday

Uncommon Slice of Suburbia- Tuesday Treasures

City Farmhouse- Inspiration Exchange

Savvy Southern Style- Wow Us Wednesdays

Jennifer Rizzo- Fabulously Creative Friday

French Country Cottage- Feathered Nest Friday

Craftberry Bush- Inspiration Gallery

Common Ground- Be Inspired

Shabby Creek Cottage- Transformation Thursday

Dear Lillie- Linky Party

Thrifty Decor Chick- Before & After

55 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely Kimberlee, and the idea of hanging curtains really looks fantastic. Everything fits in so well.... love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kimberlee,
    Happy that you are sharing this thrifty room makeover at my party this week. I love everything that you did in here. Some of my favorites are the new light fixture...curtains...that large laundry basket (did you get it at Ross?).

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kimberlee, What a beautiful transformation of your laundry room. I so love the soft colors. It's very welcoming place to do laundry. This is my first visit and I enjoyed...I am your newest follower!! Blessings~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your laundry room is gorgeous! The color was a perfect place to start and it looks fabulous with the Ball jars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberlee,
    This is such a great space to do laundry in. Very pretty and bright.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so envious! Everything is so bright and organized. I love those baskets and the drape you made. I don't like laundry much either but I'd get more satisfaction if I were doing it in a cute space like this. Mine is in the basement...ugh!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice! I love what you've done. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what an awesome transformation! I absolutely love what you did, especially the curtains, such a simple but great touch! I'm pinning this for inspiration for my laundry room! :) Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your laundry room is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your makeover, it looks amazing. The fabric curtains is such a great idea. It really does give the space some softness. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful!! Great attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking on Lowe's website RIGHT NOW for that lantern! MUST. HAVE. NOW.! And I love that darling little mirror. Great job!

    - Dana

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great makeover. I adore that mirror and the curtains you made. I am a huge fan of toile! Have a great afternoon.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  15. You definitely gave your laundry room a very pretty facelift!! Love the color you used on the walls, and the shelves with the curtains add function as well as beauty to the room.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! Sooooo pretty and charming. You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous! Very inspiring! You are amazing! Love the colors, love the curtain, love the basket and towel - just really beautiful. Saw your link at Savvy Southern Style and had to visit - thanks for sharing!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely darling! You did a great job, and now it will be fun (almost) to do laundry!
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your laundry room looks so soft and lovely, you did a wonderful job and turned it into a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so envy you with such a pretty laundry room, mine is in the garage:(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I really am inspired by your laundry room makeover and would love to feature it tomorrow on Stylish Feature Friday. Please submit it at the link below if you would like it featured! http://www.astylishinterior.com/p/featured.html
    Have a stylish day!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! Your laundry room really looks like a space that someone would want to be in. The lighting fixture is amazing!
    Jamie | andersonandgrant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an adorable laundry space! I thought there was nothing I could do with my small space, but your post has shown me how amazing it can be if you think outside the box.
    Super, thanks so much for the inspiration!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the transformation! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the inspiration! Our son and daughter in love are having a laundry room added on this week, I'll have to send her over.

    Your newest follower!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. This turned out so awesome! I need to do the same with my laundry room area too! I will check out your other projects! I found your post featured over at Ella Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very pretty! The shelves are great for storage and display. The fabric really softens the look and adds to the pretty factor.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So pretty and light. Wouldn't mind doing laundry in there. Susan @ Through My Porch Window

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely beautiful!! I love every detail!

    Fotini

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would love to do laundry in such a beautiful room!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness...I love this!! I've always wondered what I can do to disguise the plumbing behind my washer and dryer, and your table runner idea is so clever!! You have a beautiful laundry room. :) I'm visiting from Inspire Me Tuesday. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loving this SWEET laundry room makeover. It's completely darling form tip to toe! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved your laundry room so much that I've featured it as one of my favorite projects I've seen during the past week at http://andersonandgrant.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-look-back-3.html....Thanks for the amazing inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So snazzy and serene! I'm going to follow you for more inspiring makeovers! Cindy @ sunsetcoasting.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow! what great ideas you have for making your laundry room so pretty! Congrats on being featured over at "A Stroll Thru Life" party.

    ReplyDelete
  36. the lighter paint makes such a big difference. Love the lantern and that mirror, what an elegant laundry. really really pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's so pretty~ what a charming makeover!! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  38. How pretty! What a great idea to hang curtains in front of the shelving! I might have to steal that one =).

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, I just love how you've done this space! So many great details-it would be a joy to do laundry (well...almost! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  40. I adore how this turned out! It is soooo pretty! I came over from A Stroll Through Life. I'd love it if you linked it up at my party on Monday - Mod Mix Monday at Mod Vintage Life.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Absolutely fantastic! So inspirational...love the curtain and lantern.

    ReplyDelete
  42. WoW! Incredible job in a small space!

    ReplyDelete
  43. OOO, I'm so in love with this, I could just spit...I love everything about it and plan to use some of your cuteness in my new little laundry area when we get moved.
    Over from Feathered Nest...

    ReplyDelete
  44. May I use one of your pretty photos on my blog, linked back to you, to show off your cute room and something I want to do in my home. ?

    ReplyDelete
  45. It's just beautiful (never thot I'd be saying that about a laundry room, lol). I would love to pin this but don't see a link.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  46. I just love your laundry room makeover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I just love your laundry room makeover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Your laundry room looks wonderful! Love all of your "gentle" color choices. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Your laundry make over is wonderful. My laundry room is not a room, but an area in the garage. I am slowing making it my creative space and turning it into a spot I want to be. But, I never really WANT to be doing laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  50. How pretty! I wish I would do something in my laundry room. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Your laundry makeover turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.