Monday, October 14, 2013

The Old Church Pew & Fall Chalkboard

A few months ago, the store I have worked at for the past 7 years closed. My friend, and also the owner, has been fighting a brave and inspiring battle with cancer, and she knew it was time to retire and focus on getting well. The closing was very bittersweet, I was happy she was going to get the rest and time she needed to get well, and I was sad to see such a special place close it's doors. I am very grateful for the fun memories and experiences I made and gained in that store. It was in an old building filled with character, on a historic main street, in a charming little town. Each week, I had a day to myself working in this warm, happy place that felt like home to me. When I was first told the shop would be closing, I was asked if there were any certain pieces in the shop I would like to have. I immediately knew which piece I wanted to have, the old church pew. This piece has been in the shop since it opened, and was never for sale, only for displaying merchandise. I can't even count how many people offered to buy it over the years. It was always my favorite piece.

I had always wondered what stories this old pew had to tell, how many prayers were said on it, how many hymns had been sung, how many sermons, baptisms, weddings, happy and sad times it had witnessed.
In the shop it was always there to greet the customers as they came in the door, sometimes when I look at it I can still hear the big old door squeak loudly and the bell ring as customers and friends came in.
It witnessed all the holidays and seasons, the late night season change over decorating, and even the uninvited snake that slithered in under the front door one day, resulting in my shocked scream and quick exit out of the shop. I love the old worn wood on this pew, it definitely has many, many stories to tell. And now it gets to welcome people into my home. This is one special piece I will always keep.
While at the Vintage Market last month, I found this chalkboard shelf made from the top of an old fireplace mantle piece. When I saw it, I knew it would look perfect hanging above the old pew. I found a fall saying I liked, and my sister drew it on the chalkboard for me, she did a beautiful job!
For those who noticed, I do apologize for not having baseboards in my pictures. I do realize it is rather unsightly, but my husband has been so very busy at his work, it may be a while before has has the time to install them. Just keeping it real! More fall and Halloween coming soon! Kimberlee


Sharing at-

Coastal Charm

A Stroll Thru Life

The Farmhouse Porch

Funky Junk Interiors

Common Ground

Craftberry Bush

French Country Cottage

Jennifer Rizzo

Savvy Southern Style

27 comments:

  1. Love the pew and the chalkboard shelf! I too would wonder about the stories from the pews past. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, it would be great is these pieces could talk, wouldn't it? Thank you for visiting my blog.
      Kimberlee

      Delete
  2. This is AWESOME!!! I had a similar bench once, not that pretty though, and I regret selling it. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linsey! I know that feeling, I have sold a few thing before that I later wondered what I was thinking! I hope you find another pew to enjoy one day.
      Kimberlee

      Delete
  3. That is a gorgeous pew! How wonderful for you to be able to have it! It looks perfect below that awesome chalkboard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new to you bench is amazing! I have always wanted a church pew to use like you have but sadly I just don't have the space in my home. Lucky girl what a find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, It is tricky when you live in a smaller space. My home is not very large, I have to pick my pieces carefully to make it all fit. It fills up quickly! :)
      Kimberlee

      Delete
  5. The old church pew is really beautiful, and this story is beautifully written. I hope your former employer will be well very soon. I hope you'll share this with my readers at my We Call It Olde Link-Up, a new party started this morning and goes til Saturday. Join us! -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn, I would be happy to join your party, so nice to have found your blog. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous piece to have in your home. All the mystery and history to that pew is a great thing to be able to think about. You decorated it beautifully and I love that chalkboard shelf. The pup stole my heart!! I am so sorry to hear about your friend, I will say a prayer for her wellness.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia, and thank you for your prayers, I know she would greatly appreciate them.
      God Bless, Kimberlee

      Delete
  7. So glad to find your blog! Your pew is wonderful! I have been on the hunt for one. So sorry to hear about your friend. Hope she is doing okay.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, thank you for stopping by, I hope you find your perfect pew. It is always exciting when you finally find that perfect piece you have been looking for.
      Kimberlee

      Delete
  8. Oh I love your church pew, what a very special piece it is and I also love the shelf. You sister did an amazing job on the chalkboard too. This creates such a lovely entry. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marty, and thank you for always hosting such great parties over on your lovely blog. I look forward to it each week.
      Kimberlee

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about your friend.
    What a beautiful church pew.No apologies about your baseboard.I have an unfinished piece in my kitchen.It has been sitting there for over a year....sigh .....eventually it will get taken care of.
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne,
      I so know that feeling! :) I am hoping to finally tackle my kitchen soon. Thank you for stopping by, I just discovered your lovely blog, and look forward to your future posts!
      Kimberlee

      Delete
  10. Hi, Kimberlee. The old church pew was certainly a good addition to your home. You set it up in the right place! It accentuated the chalkboard shelf, and made the place so warm and cozy. I think your dog even sees it as a great place to relax. Look at how comfortable he is. Hehe!

    Earnestine Kettering @ Covenant Church Furniture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ernestine, yes, he likes to find little cozy spots. Ha! :)
      Kimberlee

      Delete
  11. I love the church pew...can't even imagine all the history it has seen. Your chalkboard shelf is the perfect piece above it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melinda, I was very happy to find the right piece to go above it. Thank you so much for stopping by.
      Kimberlee

      Delete
  12. What an absolute treasure! And it will continue to have history as it becomes part of your "family". It looks beautiful there with the chalkboard shelf! I'm so enjoying peeking around your blog and just love your style! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa, I am having fun peeking around your blog, so glad to have found it! I like that you and your sister share a blog, I am very close to my sister also, there is nothing like having a sister as a best friend. :) Thank you so much for stopping by.
      Kimberlee

      Delete
  13. I love the way your church pew is partially painted! I have a wooden bench I have considered painting but didn't want to cover up all the wood. This is a fabulous way to mix the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I love that it has that mix of warm old wood and some painted touches. A good way to enjoy both looks. :)
      Kimberlee

      Delete

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.