Sunday, March 16, 2014

Happy St. Patricks Day! & Irish Ancestry

Happy St. Patrick's Day! To be honest, I have never really celebrated St. Patty's Day much. Sure, I may have worn something green to avoid getting pinched, but that was it. I'm not sure why, maybe it was because I didn't think I was Irish, maybe I wasn't in the mood to wear green, maybe it was because I was just ready to move on to Easter and spring, who knows....but I can now say I have a new view of this day! A day to celebrate being Irish! 

           One of my hobbies is genealogy. I love digging into family history, it is like an addicting treasure hunt where you find something new each time you dig. Digging to your roots, the people, places, and history that got you here today. At times it feels as if history comes alive when you make new connections and discoveries. I thought I knew my family history pretty well, until I asked for an Ancestry.com DNA test for Christmas. I was so excited to do this! Even though I knew the names and dates of my ancestors, being an American, it was hard to know where all my ancestors who came to this country over 200 years ago, exactly came from. 


I sent in my saliva sample, and waited for what seemed like an eternity! It was 8 weeks, but it felt like a year, I was so excited to see scientific proof of my ancestry. I was curious if there would be any surprises, something unexpected.........

The Whiteley Family- 1916
(My great, great grandfather Fred High, holding my great grandfather Tim High)
below
(My great, great grandparents William Marion and Mary Carr Whiteley)

Then, the email came! I held my breath and clicked the link, and there it was, Irish! I am almost half Irish! (And to my daughter's delight, some french thrown in the western European part.) I was very surprised, I had discovered two Irish links in my research, but never thought I had that much Irish. I am thrilled to have discovered my celtic roots, and I am proud to now say that I am Irish.





Needless to say, I have some making up to do in the Irish celebration department! I decided to add some touches for St. Patrick's Day in honor of my discovery this year. It was challenging to find pieces that weren't plastic and green.



I then found something I loved from Dear Lillie  Jennifer Holmes from Dear Lillie makes beautiful chalkboard prints. I ordered this Irish Eyes are Smiling print from her store. If you haven't ever seen her blog or store before, you must. Everything she does is simply stunning!




 I have decided to give myself some time to find some meaningful Irish pieces to add for my decor in the future. Part of the fun is in the hunt, right?


I added some Irish clovers my mother gave me to my new little cafe corner, I have a post coming about my new table soon. It's a fun story. :)




Irish breakfast tea, anyone?


      I hope to travel to the Emerald Isle one day. What a beautiful place to visit!


Speaking of traveling, my sister and I had an amazing time in San Francisco with Benefit Cosmetics a few weeks ago!! A post coming on that soon also!


The Lobby of Benefit Cosmetics, can you say WOW? I was so awestruck with this room.


And we got a good start on the kid's bathroom, here is a sneak peek! We still have flooring, a mirror, and vanity to do.

I hope you have a Happy St. Patrick's Day! Do you have any plans or traditions for this day? I would love to hear about them if you do!

Be Blessed,
Kimberlee


Sharing at:

A Stroll Thru Life

Home Stories from A to Z

Stone Gable- The Scoop

Coastal Charm

13 comments:

  1. I think that it is almost crazy that I just read this post! Reason being is that in the last year I have been doing some genealogy research myself and found some deep Irish roots! I too had always passed by St. Patrick's Day, but today I see it in a new light! Never know..maybe we are kinsfolk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you are doing a fine job of catching up on your St. Patrick's Day decorating! cute vignettes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting that you found the Irish link to your ancestral history! My hubby and I have both talked about doing the DNA test, and think it would be very interesting to find our ancestral makeup. I think your vignette is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful decorations you've got:) It must be exciting to find out about your roots in Ireland!:) In Poland only few people celebarte St. Patrick's Day maybe because we do not have so many foreign ancestors.
    Have great spring days:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so informative and entertaining! I LOVED seeing the new things that Modern History will be featuring this market, and am excited to hopefully use them in upcoming projects.
    Comfy And Cozy Bucktown Three House

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know where the decorative sign is from? I love that verse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catherine Baucom -- I also was wondering where the sign came from. I found a similar sign on http://www.redletterwords.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photo of the bathroom; all colors match so well together! What is the name of the wall color? I always love those "minty" colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I realize this is an old post but absolutely love the bathroom! Where did you come by the wall decor? What is that color on the walls. I haven't been able to find anything close! Thanks! Terisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Continuing the chorus - where did you find that Bible verse sign? And what is the paint color in the bathroom? Lovely work you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do you know they are Irish?
    That on the left with the medals is my husband's grat grandfather his last name is Lee and as far as we know they are British not Irish. If you know more about that picture please contact me.

    Monica M Lee
    monigp2004@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.